HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Carol Serr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Aug 2007 11:36:10 -0700
Obviously I don't look at things from a Management position.  I think
the artifacts are important.  The combined collection is what tells us
the Story...of the peope who discarded the trash/items.

In most cases, I write the "Results" portion of reports...presenting the
data...in text and tables.  Then the PI writes the conclusions/whatever
(different terms for diff projects; symantics).

This one project is being run (very) differently tho.

WHY I was noting the pin marks is for the exact reason you state
Carl....to determine just how MANY guns were being fired/used.  I cant
say they all 'resided' in the ONE household associated with the dump
tho...since the inhabitants could have had friends come over for a
target shoot.

This collection has over 50 rimfire casings present...and 100s of
centerfire handgun casings and shotshells - so it was of Interest to me
since the abundance really stood out (typically a domestic site might
produce 3-10 casings - off the top of my head; please don't 'quote' me).

We don't have the ammo info entered into our database yet, so I cant
give you Exact details...but, I thot it relevant to know that many
different weapons were used at this home site - maybe it isnt. ?

Why the casings were gathered up and discarded in the dump puzzles me
some tho.  But maybe this isnt Unusual behavior (only to me)??  I just
assumed (oops) that shells were left in the grass (let's say)...where
they fell...by most shooters.

I was wondering if perhaps one of the kids had gathered up a
"collection" (as I know children do - picking up "goodies"*)...since -
of the shotshells specifically - there are just 1 or 2 of each 'make'
(brand model)...of 6 Different ammo making companies.  Not being a
'shooter'...I am ignorant about the sport...but, I just assumed one
bought a box full of 1 type of ammo...so what you shot would all be the
Same (at that episode; till the box was empty).  Then why would there be
some 45 DIFFERENT product names in this household dump collection?

All ideas welcome.  :o)

But no, this probably wont influence the conclusions of the report the
PI writes.

* When I was 6, and I was taken to the race track... I collected all the
'pretty' betting ticket stubs littered all over the ground.  I must have
had a 2" thk stack...that I rubberbanded (technical term; ha ha) and
kept in my drawer.  WHY?  Silly things kids do.