HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Gary Vines <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Jul 2007 13:07:53 +1000
My guesses

004 is an air hose coupling - used where a rubber of rubberised canvas
or other type of hose is attached to another fitting, for example a
brake booster, air powered tool pump etc.

016 looks like a grease nipple - used where grease is regularly applied
to a moving mechanical joint such as a vehicle suspension, machine drive
shaft etc.

014-5 is an end cap of a fluid or air pipe, used where a pipe end needs
blocking, perhaps on hydraulic machinery - it might also be a decorative
cap of metal furniture - the type of finish - chromed, brass plated etc,
would determine this

012 & 018 might be curtain weights - lead discs are used to help make
lightweight curtains hang neatly.

021-2 looks like part of a watch case, possibly the hinged lid.

Do we get prizes if we get the most right?

__________________________________

Gary Vines
Archaeologist
mobile: 0428 526 898
mailto:[log in to unmask]

Biosis Research Pty. Ltd.
Natural and Cultural Heritage Consultants

38 Bertie Street (PO Box 489)
Port Melbourne Vic 3207
ph:  (03) 9646 9499
fax: (03) 9646 9242