HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Thu, 22 Mar 2007 13:38:04 -0400

In a message dated 3/22/2007 2:54:34 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

This  excludes other types of things that do not meet all the criteria or
cannot  demonstrate intent such as single episode dumps, incidental or
natural  accumulations they term 'undirected refuse aggregations' or
'refuse-rich  contexts'.

With reference to historical archaeology contexts, I am not sure you can
exclude these categories of deposits from the definition of midden. I am
thinking of shore whaling historic contexts in which a group of men of various
ethnic backgrounds descend upon a plot of ground near the ocean, build a quick
oven, and boil down blubber into oil to be sealed in casks and then whisked away
for the next location. In a brief and single episode, the sand/soil can
accumulate all manner of organic debris and ash to look for all the world like a
prehistoric midden. What is more, there is reason to believe some of the 8,000
 year old shell middens around here and in Baja California, Mexico were
created  in a single episode by large groups of people.

Ron May
Legacy 106, Inc.