HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Patrick Garrow <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 19 Jan 2007 22:41:24 -0500
The Williamsburg SHA meeting was a massive understaking. We had over 1,500
registrants, which made it the largest meeting in SHA history. We also had
700 papers, and the sheer number of papers created a scheduling nightmare.
I co-chaired a session that was scheduled on Sunday morning that would have
probably drawn more people if it had been set in a more favorable slot. A
number of the sessions had to be put in the Sunday morning slot, and the
placement of mine there was simply the luck of the draw.

I greatly enjoyed the Jamestown reception and enjoyed it all the more
because it was a unique opportunity to see the island at night. The
problems we encountered were pretty much the result of having the maximum
number of people that could be accomodated, and most people dealt with
inconvenience created by those numbers from the perspective that we were
getting an inside look at a very special site and incredible museum and lab
facilities.

The local committee, under the leadership of Bill Kelso, did a fabulous job
organizing this meeting. The business office, with a great deal of help
from the local committee did an equally impressive job of running the
meeting. I appreciate all they did to make this meeting one of the best in
SHA history.

Pat Garrow