HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Paul Mohler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Nov 2006 14:30:32 -0500
Since we've gotten to the bottom of the LRI case, perhaps people would like
another opportunity to identify a mystery piece.  The piece in question was
located within the wall of an early 1900's farmhouse in Nash County, NC.
The property owner found it during a restoration project.  It consists of
two pieces of wood that are tapered at the end to form what I would assume
to be handles.  Each piece of wood or handle measures about 26 inches long
and 3 inches wide, tapering down to about 1.25 inches at its end.  The
tapering on each handle starts at its midpoint.  Both pieces are attached by
a simple lap hinge.  The interior edges (i.e. the ones facing each other) of
both handles are flat; the exterior edges are rounded.  The entire piece is
nice and smooth.  There are no noticeable marks or anything that would
suggest use.  The hinge is attached with 8 tacks, though 1 is missing and 2
of the holes show no signs of a tack being used.  So, only 5 tacks are
present.  Three smaller tacks are present at the top of each handle to
prevent further splitting of the wood.  A wire was located around the hinge,
presumably to hang on a wall, but was taken off before I had a chance to
look at it.  Think old-time baseball or cricket bat split in two attached by
a hinge at the thick end.

Photos can be sent off-list if requested.

Thanks,
Paul J. Mohler
NCDOT Archaeologist
[log in to unmask] OR