HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Whitney Sprague <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Aug 2006 08:51:48 -0400
The ongoing Archaeology in Annapolis (Maryland) program have begun to
find hidden objects in its ongoing excavations.  Dating to primarily the
eighteenth century, these "spirit caches" were buried or otherwise hidden by
enslaved Africans in "border" places - hearths, windows, doors - to guard
the home and those within.  It's all part of the hidden religious tradition
of hoodoo.  You can get a rough idea of more here:
http://www.newsdesk.umd.edu/culture/release.cfm?ArticleID=1091