HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Peter Petchey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Aug 2005 13:09:50 +1200
There was a small time capsule in a Department Store (originally A.&T.
Inglis, now Farmers) building in Dunedin, New Zealand, the site of
which I excavated in 2003. The main buildings dated to between ca1870
and ca1890, but the time capsule was a small informal one left by some
staff during building work in 1924, with some 1949 additions. A small
egg-powder tin contained a couple of hand-written notes with the names
of the staff working at the time, and a comment about a rival firm's
sale. The rival firm still exists. The papers from the capsule are now
in the Hocken Archives, in Dunedin. The excavation report is an
unpublished report to the New Zealand Historic Places Trust.

Peter Petchey
Southern Archaeology
Dunedin
New Zealand