HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Thu, 18 Aug 2005 18:50:37 -0700
I'm working from a transcribed copy--done by someone
else, so I can't comment on how it appears on the
original document, but it seems to me that it would be
awfully easy when doing a transcription to
mis-interpret a "T" as an "H" (STillyard to SHillard).
Especially if the text was faded, ink was worn, the
original author had bad handwriting, or it may have
just been phonetically written.  That seems to be the
case with the Periauger. You can't get much more
phonetic than "petty auger", especially when spoken
with an 18th century Virginia drawl.

-Grant