HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
George Myers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Aug 2005 20:27:05 -0400
I read Dartmouth College started out as one on the North Fork Long
Island, near Orient Point, NY (and the "famous" archaic period
burials, which, if from the "Orient Fishtail" point time, may have
come from the Delaware Water Gap area according to Dean Snow. I
personally watched one found on the West Point Academy grounds more
recently, testing there after Hurricane Floyd with Panamerican
Consultants for tree damage "remediation" during the anthrax alert,
and excavated a number of them from underneath aboriginal pottery
found not far from former State Archaeologist "type site" at Stony
Brook, NY ["cutsgunsuk" I elsewhere read, William Ritchie the State
Archaeologist then] at the Fischetti Site [later the developer] near
West Meadow Beach) before it moved to New Hampshire. I frequently
traverse segments of "College Road" around Lake Winnepeasauki ("smile
of the Great Spirit") in that state on vacation, where a road to it
was hacked out of the forests, lakes and bogs to it. Abenaki Tower is
a known landmark where four native trails once crossed, three of them
discovered so far. I most recently read that at the time of settlement
in the early 19th century around North River on the Upper Hudson
River. Mohawk families were already living there, they after all sold
over 1 million acres the Adirondack Park is part of, larger than the
whole State of Massachusetts!  (on the way to Abeneki Lake and Indian
Lake, NY in the Adirondacks) Good luck.

George Myers