HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Tue, 16 Aug 2005 18:08:07 -0700
Recently while doing some research, I came across the
mention of a "pair of shillards" in an estate
inventory. After much searching, I've had no luck
determining what a shillard was.

A Google search for "pair of shillards" returns
several hits of them in estate inventories--but
nothing with clues about use, context, etc, so I know
it is not a spelling error or transcription error.  A
perusal of many books of 18th century tools, kitchen
wares, and furniture proved unsuccessful as well. Even
the trusty Oxford English Dictionary has no mention of
them.

Any ideas, references, clues, etc would be greatly
appreciated.

And if anyone can solve that one, how about another
one...."Pethy auger"

-Grant
Grant Quertermous
Staff Archaeologist