HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Robbie B Mann <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Aug 2005 17:27:16 -0500
Histarchers,

Two colleagues and I are putting together a session for the 2006 SAA
meetings in San Juan, Puerto Rico.  The session is titled "Working It:
Archaeological Approaches to Labor, Leisure, and Place" and the session
abstract is copied below.  If anyone is interested, please send a paper
title and abstract to [log in to unmask]  The deadline for submissions is
September 7, 2005, so we need to have all abstracts no later than September
2, 2005.

SESSION ABSTRACT:
The contributors to this symposium cast a critical eye upon two pairs of
social/spatial categories that are central to archaeological thought: the
concepts of work/leisure and workplace/residence. The papers in this
session focus on the social relations, practices, and lived experiences
occurring within and between these social/spatial categories. Practices and
experiences are at once structured by spaces, while they simultaneously
construct/reconstruct ideas of both the social and the spatial. In so
doing, we attempt to examine the often neglected conceptual and spatial
linkages between these categories of activity and place, with an interest
in revealing the assumptions that underlie these seemingly dichotomous
social constructions. We seek to build historically contingent and specific
understandings of labor, leisure, and place.

Rob Mann
Assistant Professor of Anthropology
Department of Sociology
University of Southern Indiana