HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Tue, 12 Jul 2005 15:24:08 -0400
We are currently doing a Phase I investigation of a property in the Pocono region of Pennsylvania (you know - heart-shaped tubs, honeymoon cottages, etc.). We've found that this property contains the remains of an early incarnation (late-19th to early-20th C.) of what was to become this area's substantial vacation / resort industry during the second half of the 20th Century. While historians have devoted a good deal of attention to the Pocono vacation wonderland, it has been subjected to very little archaeological investigation. I'm wondering if anyone knows of studies of this sort of vacation / resort site in other regions. Just a few references to give us an entry into the literature would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Philip.

Philip A. Perazio, M.A., RPA
Senior Principal Investigator
Kittatinny Archaeological Research, Inc.
609 Main Street, P.O. Box 1117
Stroudsburg, PA 18360
Phone: 570-421-9525; FAX: 570-421-9527; Cell: 570-350-8018
Email: [log in to unmask]
please send large files to: [log in to unmask]