HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"S. Howard-Carter" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 7 Dec 2004 13:38:29 -0800
Here is a complete bottle from a burial that has such an embarrassement of diagnostic characteristics that I can't decide between a two-piece mold or an Owens machine make, so please chime in. Also, it is complete, so hopefully this description may be useful for someone somewhere, so I will go ahead and list characterisits for all the bottle folks out there, and do let me know if you think this is mid-1910's as I do.

"H.H.H. Horse Medicine//D.D.T. 1868/18 F"
Patent finish
Aqua Glass
Rectangular panel shape with champfered bottom edge.
Side seams end midway up the neck, going off to the side a bit before disappearing, and do not extend onto the base.
Glass is rather heavy and regular in thickness, letters are very crisply defined.

On the base is a big circular Owens scar that extends onto the heel of the
bottle base, with the embossed letters "18 F" in the circle.

The bottle appears to have little embossed vent marks on the shoulders as described in Parks Canada, from a vented mold.

The embossed "F" may be Fairmount Glass Works and dates to after 1889.
Various sources date the Owens scar to after 1904, and for pharm. bottles after 1909 when production got going for smaller bottles (IMACS).
The number on the base may be a size of bottle--could it be a date?
It seems an automatic machine bottle could have a fire-polished finish (no mold marks), according to some sources, and the way the seams end with a turn looks to show that.
My questions are: can we have an Owens scar with no base seams and with vent marks, and does anyone have a source for the "18F"? Fike says this company used a screw-top by the 1920's, so I am going with 1909-1920 currently for the bottle.
Thanks a bunch,
Suzanne Howard-Carter