HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
George Myers <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
George Myers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 Nov 2004 12:15:33 -0500
http://www.erasing.org/four_post-election_limericks/

The page following these limericks has a link to an exclusive film
performance by Brad Pitt one of America's most successful actors and
to the film "Dog Factory" (1904) made by the Thomas A. Edison film
studio in New York City. It shows some of the old style humor that was
once shown in NYC's earlier theater district, I think and know, on the
NY Bowery. Today there, is what is called America's oldest continuing
arts organization, for over 50 years, the Amato Opera, across the
street, the Bouwerie Theatre (in an old German bank), CBGB's, the rock
venue (an annex to it), and the Bowery Ballroom, where Stephen King
made his first public appearance after his recovery from a terrible
pedestrian/van accident, hit while walking along a Maine road. The
driver died later in his sleep.

Over on Houston Street just off the Bowery, ("howston" in NYC, a
Scottish businessman's name) there was once the Yiddish Theater
District, where Walter Mathau started (his real name is as long and as
unpronoucable a name can get I thought) until the Chrystie Street
subway extension and time tore it up. While doing research there and
nearby for archaeological significance, we also determined it to be
once the site of a Quaker
Cemetery, moved to Prospect Park, Brooklyn (and Old Westbury) along
with the Methodist one on another lot we were looking at, in the
middle of the 19th century. Just south of there (Houston and Bowery)
on one map a "Negro Cemetery" is shown, today a small parking lot
perhaps never moved (?).

Interestingly, the "Anthology Film Archives" on Second St off Second
Ave. is a major repository and exhibition space supported by many in
the visual arts and information businesses. A former English professor
in Buffalo, NY of mine and artist/film maker, Paul Sharits, has a
sculpture there. It is across the street from one of the two remaining
cemeteries in the general neighborhood, marble vaults, one that once
contained former President Monroe. That is until, before the American
Civil War, the Virginia Legislature voted to remove him to the
Hollywood Cemetery there in Virginia! The whole city, it's said,
stopped to pay its respects as the former resident was removed, as was
later Ericsson, he to Sweden, lived in the Village, was the inventor
of the ship propeller and designer of the "U.S.S. Monitor" the Union
submarine involved in the first battle of the ironclads.

General George Washington had a drink there before addressing the
troops after the Revolution, it's written and that tavern was later
moved to around 14th Street, it's owner I believe one of the founders
of Drew University in Madison, NJ, where the Roebling Chapter of the
Society for Industrial Archaeology meets. I was involved in the
archeology of Mead Hall there, former Governor Kean of NJ, it's
President, stepping down next year, after service as one of the
researchers for the "9/11 Commission" convened to investigate the
horrible events of that day in 2001.

If you know anyone that has any information about the "U.S.S.
Alligator" America's first submarine, which also sunk off Cape
Hatteras, NC, please let the forum, sub-arch where underwater
hisrtorical archaeology is discussed, know.

George Myers