HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
James Brothers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Nov 2004 12:08:13 -0500
Do you mean Hopewell Furnace Natl. Historic Site? If so it was a blast
furnace not a foundry. But like many early blast furnaces it produced
not only pig iron, but cast directly into molds. I have not heard that
it ever deliberately remelted pig iron for casting (what a foundry
does). The present heavily reconstructed site has blowing tubs (large
wooden pistons) rather than bellows.