HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
James Brothers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Nov 2004 13:27:22 -0500
Smiths would not usually have engaged in casting. At least not casting
iron. For one they used the wrong kind of iron (low carbon maleable
iron with a high melting tempreature). This is the kind of iron you
would want to make things from hammer forging, most of what a smith
habitually produced. Casting is usually done with high carbon iron,
which has a much lower melting temperature. In fact it would have been
pretty hard, if not impossible, to melt low carbon iron with the kind
of hearth in a smithy. Also the skill set was different. Making molds
and using them is a lot different than welding and hammer forging. Most
blast furnaces or foundries hired people who specialized in casting and
often outsourced the production of the wooden patterns. I'm talking
about the period up through the middle 1800s.

James Brothers