HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Sat, 13 Mar 2004 11:00:18 -0500
Geoff,

You underscore my position about archaeologists taking acting classes. A good
politician, board chair, spiritual leader, or archaeology leader takes
training somewhere on how to read the facial expressions, body language, style of
dress, and stance of people they are addressing. A more successful politician,
chair, preacher, or archaeologist learns how to remain on good terms with
others, even if they do not agree, because ultimately the question as to whether or
not they are able to pass bills, carry the votes in a board, convert
heathens, or be able to carry out archaeology is by acting in the most successful
ways. We all have failed in this at one time or another, but I have always felt
that the ones who are truly successful are just good actors. I have seen the
winners dress for the occassion (jeans and flannel shirts or coat and tie), speak
the local lingo, and learn to charm before the actual meeting takes place.
Overcoming petty grievances, learning to suppress anger or vengeance, making
oneself smile in the face of adversity, are all traits of acting. I have seen
people work themselves up into anger, happiness, and strength behind the scenes
and just before going out to a board meeting or public hearing to convey their
message or debate with skeptical officials. You know the good ones, those
smiles, their handshake and their success rate. Sergeant Friday on Dragnet, after
all, was an actor when he said, "Just the facts, ma'am."

Ron May
Legacy 106, Inc.