From:
Julia Werthimer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Jan 1999 15:27:24 -0800
Jane Erb on Barbara Bonney:

>She is an American who has made a wonderful reputation in Europe, where
>(obviously unlike here - nothing like being a prophet without honor in
>one's own land) she is very highly regarded.  Rather like Upshaw, she is
>considered, in addition to being attractive, a real class act.

She sang Susanna in the Metropolitan Opera broadcast of Le Nozze di
Figaro on December 5th, very well I thought.  She also sings divinely
on a recording of Mozart's Coronation Mass (with Exsultate, Jubilate
and Vesperae Solennes) by the English Concert with Trevor Pinnock.  I've
admired her singing for some time, but I also can't imagine why she has
been selected as the *only* singer on a list of Top Ten Performers.

Julia Werthimer <[log in to unmask]>
California, USA