HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Wed, 7 Jun 2006 16:51:56 -0700
From:
Berryman CIV Stanley R <[log in to unmask]>
This issue raises the concerns causes many archaeologists to loose
sleep.  How do we protect sites on private land?  In this case it seems
the Fullers may be well meaning amateurs.   However, excavating burials
is different from nearly every type of archaeological endeavor.
Properly excavated burials can provide more information than can be list
here.  The forensic information alone can tell a lot about the health
and life of the individual and possibly about occupations.  On a burial
I excavated of a hard rock miner the forensic work up told us how hard
the life for a mid-1800s miner was.  Some of the information included
squatting facets (they did not stand up in the mine), clay shoveler's
shoulder, and every bone broken at some time to name a few.  So, what
beyond just digging is the intent of the amateurs?  Are they to be
studied, exposed and then reburied, or just what?  By going to the AP
and not bringing in professionals, I think Ron is right and they are
looking for the publicity.

Also, in regards to Ron's previous message, California has had
relatively tough cemetery laws for some time.  I recall six inhumations
is the threshold for a cemetery as was indicated earlier, but for fewer
then six, the area of the remains is to be considered a legal cemetery.
Ron, do you remember if that is correct.  I am trying to stretch my
memory way back to the research we did for Fox Point.

Stan Berryman
Cultural Resources Program Manager
AC/S Environmental Security
Box 555008