HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Fri, 28 Apr 2006 20:07:37 +1000
From:
Dr Iain Stuart <[log in to unmask]>
The question of technological redundancy is one reason why the NSW Heritage
office has refused to allow digital photography for archival recording
(although they are going to have to change due to the technological
redundancy of film and in particular slide film). The NSW State Records who
are now having to deal with digital records from Government Agencies suggest
using the PDF format to make archival copies of records because it is open
source and therefore can be reconstructed (assuming we keep binary
computers).

Touchingly they also suggest that keeping accurate and retrievable records
is really good because it allows people in the future to find out what was
happening and who did what. (fans of the TV series Yes Minister will
understand why I find this amusing).

It is really difficult to see clearly in this technological fog and for a
small business to really buy into the appropriate technology at start up.
Yet obviously the best time for planning a system for archiving photos is at
start up not in a few weeks time when I will have about 100 to sort,
organise and store.

I am also a great believer in the pencil, Ron, it is a good all weather
writing implement virtually fool proof and difficult to erase.

Dr Iain Stuart

JCIS Consultants

P.O. Box 2397

Burwood North