HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Tue, 28 Feb 2006 19:26:10 -0800
From:
The published translation of the book by Pedro Alonso O'Crouley is called "A
Description of the Kingdom of New Spain." ("Idea compendiosa del Reyna Nueva
Espańa" in Spanish).  Translated and edited by Seán Galvin, it was published
simultaneously (1972) by John Howell Books in San Francisco and by Allen
Figgis in Dublin.
    Happily, a printed note in the beginning by Galvin says, "Except for
copyrighted material reproduced herein, this translation may be used in
whole or in part by anyone who wishes to do so, with the Translator's
compliments."
    Given that the translation is that of a 1774 manuscript, with the
illustrations apparently done to accompany the manuscript, it is hard to
believe the illustrations were ever copyrighted by anyone.  I have a feeling
that Seán Galvin would wholeheartedly approve of their use.
    The originals are -- or were, at least -- in the colletions of the
Biblioteca Nacional in Madrid.
    Bunny Fontana