HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
"Davis, Daniel (KYTC)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Feb 2006 14:17:22 -0500
I was wondering the same thing. We have a lot in the eastern part of the
state. Many of those dams could be re-used. A typical plan consisted of a
pair of coffers with a group of planks placed between the coffers. The
planks held back the water until a trigger on the top of the dam was struck,
releasing the planks, the water, and the logs (the 'splashing' of the dam).
The planks were then re-assembled (most were held to the trigger by a rope
that ideally allowed them to stay with the dam), and the whole process
repeated again. There is an excellent article titled "Splash Dam
Construction in Eastern Kentucky's Red River Drainage Area" in Volume 36,
No. 4 of "Forest and Conservation History" (October 1992) and another titled
"Splash Dams used to Move Timber in Eastern Kentucky with Special References
to the Red River Gorge" in the Tennessee Anthropologist (Vol. XVI, No. 2,
Fall 1991). Three different types of dams are described in this second
article.