HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Sun, 12 Feb 2006 09:44:01 -0600
From:
Stephen Austin <[log in to unmask]>
Not sure what you are asking or commenting on Tim.  Rock roller dams could
be a couple (several actually come to me) things depending on your title of
"rock roller" and the engineer that is designing it.  Typically a rock /
roller dam is a rock filled base with roller compacted earth over the top -
essentially creating a roller compacted earth weir dam.  I understand these
are not used as much anymore because of seepage issues and being more prone
to overturning.  The term 'rock roller' could also be applied to an
excavated to rock base, roller compacted earth weir dam.  The other
alternative could be that your title means a rock fill, concrete grout
injected, concrete poured or possibly roller compacted concrete (yes - there
is such a thing) weir (probably) dam.  Another possibility is a rock filled
or base structure with any variety of fill (earth, concrete) that uses
'roller gates' to control downstream releases.  Or do you have something
else in mind?

Stephen