HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Wed, 16 Nov 2005 07:33:17 -0800
From:
Stephen Austin <[log in to unmask]>
8bit
The shoe is definately not of the early Spanish colonial period - they were big and broad with typically square nail holes - if the animal was shod at all.  Your example has a fuller (the little groove around the underside) and it appears to have been made for commerically available nails.   Shoe was probably one of the blanks available late 19th and early 20th century to blacksmith / farriers by the barrel.  Its narrowness, roundness, and wear at the toe, seem to indicate a horse rather than a mule shoe and use on a front hoof.  The second image link didn't work but it appears the shoe has clips instead of calks - they were usually used to increase traction and to keep the horse from stepping on its own shoe and pulling it off in rough going or under loads.

Greg Johnson <[log in to unmask]> wrote:>
> [...]

S.P. Austin