HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Wed, 9 Nov 2005 08:14:24 -0500
From:
"William B. Liebeknecht" <[log in to unmask]>
7bit
Dane,

Ayer's Cherry Pectoral begins around 1847 and continued into the 20th
century.  It is listed as a product in Ayer's American Almanacs of 1883 and
1906 published by Dr. J.C. Ayer & Co. "practical and analytical chemists"
Lowell MA.  "Ayer's Cherry Pectoral is an anodyne expectorant, prepared to
meet the urgent demand for a safe and reliable antidote for diseases of the
throat and lungs."

The 1906 almanac list the Cherry Pectoral's revised formula as

Wild Cherry	6 Grains
Grindelia Robusta 4 Grains
White Pine 4 Grains
Senega 4 Grains
Terpin Hydrate 4 Grains
Blood Root 2 Grains
Rio Ipecac 2 Grains
Citric Acid 2 Grains
Heroin 1-6 Grain
  Solvent: Alcohol, 10 minutes to each fluid drachm; glycerine; syrup;
water.

"There's nothing so bad for a Cough as Coughing"
"There's nothing so good for a Cough as Ayer's Cherry Pectoral"
"For Coughs, Colds, Croup, Whooping-cough, Influenza, la Grippe, Bronchitis,
Asthma, Pneumonia, Consumption"

A reference from 1899 (Pacific Med. and Surg. Journal) lists the formula as

Acetate of morphia 3 Grains
Tincture of bloodroot 2 drops
Wine antimony 3 drops
Wine ipecac 3 drops
Syrup wild cherry 3 oz.
  Mix

There are several pages of promotional text from each almanac.  I could copy
them and put it in the mail for you.  Please send me and address and I will
mail it to you, or I could fax it.

Bill Liebeknecht, MA
Principal Investigator
Hunter Research, Inc.