HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Dan Hicks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Nov 2005 16:03:08 -0700
Many thanks to Mary Beaudry for her useful bibliography of recent
interpretive work in the historical archaeology of childhood. Such work
underlines the importance of life-stages and -histories, encouraging us to
imagine the people whose remains we encounter as more than static
individuals, in the prime of life. Historical archaeology is playing an
increasingly important role in archaeological work in this field --
especially through book-length studies like Laurie Wilkie's Archaeology of
Mothering (Routledge 2003).

Unlike Mary, my own surprise at the thread derives not from the many
contributions of personal memories of childhood which this thread has
elicited, but from the rather odd suggestion that contextual approaches in
archaeology represent a 'fad'. We are, after all, 37 years on from David
Clarke's Analytical Archaeology, and some 20 years on from Hodder's
Reading the Past... Indeed, it is notable that the original question in
this thread --

"Would you agree that GENERALLY speaking: Marbles = little boys, "Jacks"
=  little girls"

-- has in fact led away from such normative concerns to a discussion that
has highlighted the highly complex, richly textured and diverse ways in
which people experience and remember the material culture of childhood.

After all (in our household at least!), kids tend to follow their own
rules...

Dan
Dr Dan Hicks
Archaeology & Anthropology