HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Fri, 22 Jul 2005 14:31:26 -0400
From:
Ariadne Moore <[log in to unmask]>
I've been researching 18th-19th Century ceramic money-banks/coin banks
and have had a difficult time tracking down any articles or books that
deal even peripherally with the subject, besides a few books that
focus entirely on the collectibility/pricing of the pig-shaped bank.
I'm particularly interested in those that have bird/animal form, or
bird/animal finials.  Has anyone ever found one, or a portion thereof?
 In what contexts?  I've tracked down several examples in stoneware
from the 19th Century made by Remmey in Philadelphia, and many
Rockingham pieces, but have otherwise had little luck in finding much
more information on the subject.

Also, I'd made the assumption that the banks would have been intended
for children, and became interested in them due to that assumption;
I'm always attracted to the artifacts that relate to
play/leisure/children's activities.  The whimsical form of animal
banks suggested to me that they were intended for children, but I'm
wondering if my modern conditioning that piggy banks aren't for adults
is coming into play?  Does anyone know of any evidence to suggest
adults used these types of coin banks?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

--Ariadne Moore