HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Sun, 14 Nov 2004 14:00:33 +1100
From:
Denis Gojak <[log in to unmask]>
7bit
'Sheila' is still sometimes heard in parts of Australia as a general term
for women.  There is a current [to mind mind unconvincing] theory that the
term doesn't come from a trad Irish / Gaelic use, but came into prominence
in Australia where it was used similarly to 'nancy' or 'nancy boy', meaning
an effeminate male homosexual and had some particlar currency among the
convict classes.  However, I've checked my Australian National Dictionary
and the first use for 'sheila' it cites is 1828, and  its pretty clearly
used to mean women and Irish / lower class women in that and subsequent
contexts.

It is probably part of Australia's wonderful catalogue of achievement in
contributing slang names for women into world english.  After all, we
invented 'Dickless tracy' for women police.

Denis Gojak