HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Fri, 12 Nov 2004 19:59:22 -0500
From:
George Myers <[log in to unmask]>
7bit
I often drive through Chickville, New Hampshire, wondering where the
airstrip is (it's on the map) in the outwash of a former "perfectly
circular" ring-dike caldera system, on my way from Federal Corners in
Tuftonboro to Ossipee, New Hampshire. I saw some reference in "Spy"
magazine once to how hard it is to get through Chickville (local
"cachement" cemetery crossroads they've repaved the road since, former
railroad and streams through glacial outwash and volcano (though many
many millions of years ago) off to see the bears in the Ossipee
Mountains, near where, in Tamworth, Robert Frost spent some of his
summer childhood. Or to visit the "castle in the Clouds" which bottles
water filtered from the volcanic soils, the New England shoe
industrialist, Thomas Plant, friend of Theodore Roosevelt's little
place made of five sided rocks (and no nails), built in the manner of
a Scottish castle (with lead gutters), in "the Ossipee Mountains and
sweeping views of Lake Winnipesaukee surrounds the historic "Lucknow
Estate", commonly known as the legendary Castle in the Clouds!" ...
They recently completed a species inventory up there and there is
interesting evidence of a mountain lion or puma roaming between Mt.
Shaw and Bald Knob. Wild turkeys are certainly making a comeback up
there.

In Tamworth, a "summer stock theater" has been there long and  there
is now and a new historical museum recreating the New Hampshire town
life in the foothills of the White Mountains of yesteryears. There is
also a Federal forest, and the Presidential Range.

I suggested that they name a mountain up there after Ronald Reagan,
rather than rename the Franklin D. Roosevelt dime after him, living as
I once did nearby Campobello Island, New Brunswick (on Grand Manan
Island) and International Site (as is St. Croix an international
archaeological site where the French in 1609 or so unsuccessfully
tried to settle between the US and Canada on the enigmatically
cartographically described St. Croix River.

Maybe the "Chickville" problem was the rail grade, or so I think, now
no longer used, legendary, like the "Horseshoe Bend" near Altoona,
Pennsylvania (whose road work monies then former President Reagan
cited for waste) which solved the problem that made the practice of
the "portage" of canal boats hauled up seven rail grades over the
Allegheny Mountains, (depicted in "blue china") connecting
Philadelphia and Pittsburgh and the Mississippi River system, once
necessary.

Anyway that's all I got "Spy" magazine on Chickville, NH OK? You had
me "hands down" with this is our "last issue". I bought it.

George Myers