HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Thu, 21 Oct 2004 06:59:55 +1000
From:
Denis Gojak <[log in to unmask]>
7bit
Susan

Mike Pearson has published good stuff on lime kilns in Australia thaty will
be useful [some were probably built by Irish too]:

Archaeological interpretation and ethnographic analogy: the lime industry in
Western Australia

Archaeology in Oceania 21 [1986]

and

The lime industry in Australia: an overview

Australian Journal of Historical Archaeology 8 [1990]

 Although lime tended to be burnt in round tapered kilns, a lot of early
construction lime for mortar 1788-c.1850 and even later was produced from
open burning of Aboriginal shell midden material, mixing fuel with dense
shell midden / natural shell bed matrix.  An extensive industry based on
this took place around the littoral fringe of Sydney [and elsewhere] but I
don't know of any excavations of these sorts of kiln sites.

Denis