From:
George Marshall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Nov 2004 20:59:02 +0000
In noting John Smyth's news of forthcoming SACDs,

>Ramiro Arguello wrote:
>
>> I will not buy another CD wich is not SACD or DVD-A.
>
>Dave Harman wrote

>But let me ask you .. which is more important - the music or the sound?

Up to a point they are both right.  My own rate of CD buying has slowed
down in recent years as I have difficulty in finding time to listen to
my favourite discs, much less all of my collection.  Those I do buy
contain music that I have just come across, mainly early music.  Yet I
hear of SACDs that would better those works I already have on CD; and I
am considering buying some (obviously you can't buy everything that you
would like), even though they cost a bit more and even though I have not
got an SACD player - yet. (Any ideas, folks?) So, I would happily buy a
new Hesperion XXI CD without worrying about the CD sound; but for Brahms
2 it would take a well reviewed (or well recommended on this List) SACD
to tempt me.  Hedging my bets, I guess.

Incidentally, the new CD that has given me the most enjoyment in the
last year is L'Arpeggiata's La Tarantella, which I play so often it will
probably be worn out long before the SACD version appears.  But, if one
does appear, I'll buy it.

George Marshall
Cheshire, England