ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Eric Siegel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Apr 2006 12:38:39 -0400

Well, while we are wordsmithing--

>> A way of understanding and learning about the natural world around
>> us.
>>
>> Martin

Why "natural" world?  What does that mean to a 7 year old? Or to
anyone?  Is it in contrast to the "supernatural" world? Or to the
features of the world that are built by humans?  Are those excluded
from science?

And why "around us?"  Does that exclude "within us?"  And if it
doesn't exclude that, then what is the purpose of the phrase?

And what is the difference between "understanding" and "learning"
from a 7 year old POV?

So, martin's suggestion might be rephrased: "A way of learning about
the world."  Any useful definition has to include the characteristics
that distinguish the object.  Richard Feynman defined science many
times, but one of my favorites is "the belief in the ignorance of
experts."

Anyway, maybe this modification would work for 7 year olds:  "A way
of looking at the world in which everything has to be proved"  I
think 7 year olds are familiar with the taunt "Prove it!"  I realize
that this can be misleading, but it gets at the difference between
science and other ways of knowing.

A grantwriter friend of mine has this above her desk:

There are four basic human needs:

Food
Shelter
Sex