HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Bob Genheimer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Apr 2008 13:51:46 -0400
Susan

I can give you negative evidence that I have not seen such a structure in a half-dozen 19th century urban cisterns excavated in the Cincinnati area.  The only filtering device I have seen is a series of more than a dozen holes drilled in the intake pipe near the base of one cistern.

Bob Genheimer
George Rieveschl Curator of Archaeology
Cincinnati Museum Center
1301 Western Avenue