HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Bob Skiles <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Sep 2007 15:13:56 -0500
Bob,

Indeed, very likely to be a gasket for a bottle with a metal bail type lid
... the milk bottles with that type closure dated mid-1880s to after 1910.

"On September 17, 1889 Harvey and Samuel Barnhart of Potsdam, New York were
issued a patent for a system of sealing milk bottles with a ligneous disk.
Their preferred material was a white soft wood immersed in boiling paraffine
although they also said wood pulp, fiber, paperboard or paper mache' could
be used.  In order to receive the milk cap, the milk bottle had to be
finished with a shoulder or cap seat in the milk bottle lip for the cap to
seal against.  Although the patent was not officially assigned to the
Thatcher Manufacturing Company, the Barnhart brothers were officers in the
company and Thatcher was the first to use this new system of sealing milk
bottles.  They referred to it as the Common Sense Milk bottle.  It would
eventually become the standard for the milk bottle industry.

Pictured above are two milk bottles.  On the left is a milk bottle with no
cap seat and on the right is a bottle with a cap seat and also bottom
embossed with the Sept. 17th, 1889 patent date.  Note the ledge or shoulder
for the milk cap to seal on but also notice that both bottles are fitted
with metal bail style lids.  At first glance this would seem wrong but
finding milk bottles with bail tops and a cap seat is not all that uncommon.
It appears bottle manufacturers quickly designed their milk bottles with cap
seats yet some customers preferred the older style bail tops and others used
the pulp caps in combination with the tin tops.  In fact Harvey and Samuel
Barnhart were issued patents on June 2 and July 28, 1896 for bail type
bottle closures a full seven years after they introduced the milk cap.  In
both sets of patent papers they mention that these bail tops were especially
desirable for use with the milk caps described in their September 17, 1889
patent.  Bail tops were available well into the early 1900's before they
were completely replaced by milk caps.  We have seen advertisements as late
as 1912 offering tin top milk bottles...."

http://dairyantiques.com/Milk_Bottle_Necks___Lips.html

http://dairyantiques.com/Bail_Top_Milk_Bottles.html

Bob Skiles
"There is also an artificial aristocracy founded on wealth and birth,
without either virtue or talents ... The artificial aristocracy is a
mischievous ingredient in government, and provisions should be made to
prevent its ascendancy."

- Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)