HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
David Parkhill <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Mar 2007 15:14:25 -0500
I have found when exploring a midden you may become confused with the
materials you find. While working on a midden at one of my sites we
discovered a situation where one midden was used over and over again
over a long period of time. We did come up with a simplified profile
of the local society over an extended period of life. Prime example
could also be a individual farm midden. Farmers have a tendency to
throw everything away in the same location. Makes for a" GREAT PILE"
of history.

You may wish to contact Dr. Steve Black  ([log in to unmask]) at
The University of Texas at Austin for references to BRM (burned rock
middens) we find in Texas. Steve is extremely well versed in midden surveys.
David Parkhill