HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Natalie Adams <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Aug 2006 06:42:35 -0700
Hello everyone,
During the testing of a late 19th to mid 20th century historic farmstead in Union County, SC, we
found an outhouse foundation, which may be one of the WPA sanitary privies. It has a concrete
slab foundation, a rectangular shaft out of the foundation. The hole in the ground is not lined.
Along the edge of the foundation the following (as best could be made out) was hand written into
the concrete U-46-23-3-42. The superstructure is no longer standing. Can anyone tell me if this
could be WPA? Any information about the meaning of the code would be appreciated. I'm guessing
the last three numbers are the date: March 23, 1942.
Thanks,
Natalie Adams