HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Cami McCraw <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Apr 2006 22:52:22 -0500
Dear Iain & group,
  I have been reading this thread for the past several days but Randy
(husband) was in Las Vegas for NAB (National Association of Broadcasters
convention), and I was waiting to ask him what he thought. (Some of you know
that we did the David Rohl DVDs, and a large part of that project was
scanning 200+ slides from David's personal collection from various
archaeological dig sites.)
  Randy said to tell everyone that what I have been reading is also what he
has heard: that the current thinking re: technology is that the CDs will not
last much beyond 50 years, *but* that nobody really knows this for certain
since the technology is so new. He also said to tell you that supposedly,
the rewriteable form of CDs should last longer. (The 'rw' format.)
  He also agreed with the poster who said to use sharpie pens or have the
labels burned onto the  CD, rather than using paper stick-on labels.
  He also said that it does not matter whether you store them vertically or
horizontally.
  I think that about covers it. If you think of any further questions, this
is his specialty, so just post them & I'll ask him right away.

Cami
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NewChronology/