HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Mon, 16 Jan 2006 12:10:30 -0800
January 16, 2006

Hi all,

I am sure everyone doing archaeology around 1880s to 1930s has at one time or another run into the hotelware rim designs of handpainted "red line - green band - red line", and/or its alter ego "green line - red band - green line".  Somewhere I read that "everyone made these patterns."

Most commonly here in San Diego County, I see the first version (the green is light & bright) with marks by John Maddock & Sons, Ltd OR Wood & Sons.  The Maddock version is pictured in Conroy, Barbara, Restaurant China, Volume 2, Collector Books, 1999:255; Wood & Sons' version is pictured on page 577 of the same book.  Also in that book, not attributed to a manufacturer, is another "red - green - red", with a very dark colored green, page 586.  In her other book (Volume 1, 1998) is another like it on page 131.

In our sites Grindley Hotelware often sports the "green line - red band - green line."

My current project is a dump from a hotel.  Please remember I am only interested in the HANDPAINTED types.  (And don't spend hours looking; I'm just curious!)  My questions are:

1.  What other manufacturers have you all seen with these treatments?

2.  Have you noticed if one version always seems to have an earthenware body and the other is vitrified?

Thanks from (at the moment) sunny Chula Vista,

S. Walter