HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
geoff carver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Oct 2005 19:52:00 +0000
by this logic, of course, schliemann could have stayed home, since homer wrote everything you ever needed to know about troy, right?
your parents told you everything you ever needed to know about sex, the white house press secretary tells us everything we need to know about what's happening in iraq, rush limbaugh does whatever it is that he does, etc.
i also recommend "refuse archaeology: virchow-schliemann-freud" by dietmar schmidt; perspectives on science, 2001, vol 9 no 2 pgs 210-232
& there was something about "small things forgotten" by some guy, you probably never heard of him, but anyway...
ideally, we have the historical record & the archaeology, & they should be complimentary; neither is complete, & both provide checks on the other
& if you do the experiment of digging up one or two or a dozen of a certain type of site, then how sure can you be that the results will be the same for all sites of that type? statistical validity, range of variation, searching for individual agency vs cultural norms...?