HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Peter Petchey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Oct 2005 21:42:35 +1300
About 15 years ago in hamilton, new Zealand, I came across a basket of
modern Codd bottles in a sort of junk shop. I bought one, which I still
have. It is embossed on the side "CODDS PATENT BOTTLE, EXTRA STRONG
GLASS," with "DARWIN" inside a heart. A small circular paper label on
the side says "Star Brand, Tested at 150lbs per sq in." On the base is
embossed "280 ML." The marble is blue glass, with a ground surface.

I was told at the time that they were still made and used in Japan, and
this bottle has the appearance of a modern machine-made bottle, and is
unused and unmarked.

Peter Petchey