HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Tue, 7 Jun 2005 14:44:08 -0400
From:
George Myers <[log in to unmask]>
inline
I should have said that "city gas" comes from coal. Coal is "cooked"
and the gas stored in large chambers which ran inside large brick
cylinders, an iron vessel floating up and down on interior tracks as
the pressure was created and relieved, into the "city gas" system,
mostly for lighting. A brick "gasholder" in Troy, NY is the symbol of
the Society For Industrial Archeology" I think.

George Myers