HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Tue, 19 Oct 2004 12:10:14 +0200
From:
Rob Burrett <[log in to unmask]>
Of course this would depend on local traditions.  In some of the farming
Communities here in Southern Africa (including a Shona ceremony I attended)
we have what archaeologist have called "beast burials".  Based on current
traditions an ox is dedicated to an ancestor (recently died member of the
male line).  This beast known by that persons name (hence identity) and can
be called for by the ancestral spirit at anytime.  At a ceremony it is then
killed and the meat eaten by the kinship group.  The remains are then
interred with reverence.  The process is written up in several Shona
ethnographies if anyone wants to chase up the matter.  BUT how could we ever
sure this is the process in the archaeological record.  Gut feeling would
suggest that it does here in Southern Africa given the ethnographic
connections between many of our communities but how far back, in all cases
and over what spatial extent - the problem of ethnographic snap?  The issue
of contextual situation.  Sorry causing trouble again again.

Rob Burrett
Harare
Zimbabwe