From:
Peter Dillon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Sep 2004 22:18:55 -0500
Ok Jim,
So where IS the Honeymoon !!

Killing several birds with one message -

Thanks to Peter Keating and Jim Fischer for the advice on how to get an
accurate calibration for my refractometer. Quick visit to a lab. in
Winnipeg proved that there was no need for a correction to be performed
as the instrument was spot on.

Now, Canola honey extraction in my part of Manitoba has been to say the
least, difficult.
Many frames are containing granulated honey, well granulated whilst a
good 30%+ in the centre is still runny honey. This being due to weather
conditions, bloom prolongation. Canola fields in some areas finishing
whilst others just dragged on and on, giving a constant trickle of nectar.
Blooms have just finished.

Early extraction was ok - but the last 5 apiaries are a trial.(100 hives)
What are the thoughts on giving back over the brood chamber the semi
extracted frames for the bees to clear - supplying a partial winter feed?
The frames have been uncapped, therefore exposing the granulated cell
contents.

The supplying of a honey that has concrete characteristics for winter
feed (be it only a proportion) is out of my experience. Notes taken on
mails relating to Aster and other fall honeys "ring loud".

In this area, with its rude winter climate - is it possible to keep the
uncapped frames and use the honey as a spring feed. Fermentation is not
going to be a problem until next May at the earliest. Dribbling maybe!

Cowan wax spinner - yes, trying to get clean wax from this machine
defies all!
That is unless honey is at 50 degrees centigrade and/ or 25% plus water
content.
The Canola honey is just held back in the spinning container, with wax
plugging up the small holes.
Limiting the amount of material that is spun still results in a creamy
mixture sliding off the outlet area into the collecting barrel.

Contacting Cowan gave a response that one should maybe add more water!
I need to collect the honey to barrel and not start up a mead
manufacturing operation.

Some honey passes through and out of the correct orifice, but a fair few
kilos remain in the machine - only to gently consolidate itself into a
block of lard by morning. To remove this appears to require the total
dismantling of the spinner!

Was this item meant to be only used in tropical climates?
Maybe I am missing something, but I cannot see how it can be used in
areas producing thick canola honey.

Any comments most welcome - especially ones that show up my limited
abilities in dealing with this Canadian speciality.

Ta,
Peter