ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
David Taylor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Sep 2004 23:42:06 -0700

This discussion brings up one of the things I have given some though
to, but don't really know yet what I think or how I feel about it...

I'm a pretty smart guy... I've seen Bernoulli exhibits for more than 30
years and seen and heard the term in physics classes, pre-flight
instruction classes, in learning how a sail works on a sailboat and have
even written copy for two Bernoulli exhibits... but in reality even though
I can see the phenomena and explain the phenomena, I don't really think
I understand the way the Bernoulli effect works... in many ways it is still
'magic'. It's the same with the Doppler effect and many other really great
science demonstrations and exhibits... they are great 'gee whiz' stuff,
but what is our purpose in teaching them and what do folks really learn
other than the sorta semi-scientific explanations and to say, wow I sorta
have some explanation for why a 200 ton airplane flies and why a train
sounds funny as it passes...  how is this different than saying it's because
some things are fire, air, earth and water based, as some other cultures
have said.  To the average person (and probably me too) it is only the
belief in the paradigm of science as a better way of explaining things that
these explanations have any more credibility than magic.

There are some physical principles I can convince myself I understand
like the way a lever works... it is very  concrete and I can see and touch
it... but how sound passes through solids, liquids, gasses but not vacuums
but light does... or understanding light as a particle or a wave, is still
something I have to take as faith (even though I know the words and can
convince other folks to believe that it is true.)

I'm not sure what my question or statements are about other than to say
that I'm still confused about how much we really can accomplish in getting
kids and non-scientist's (including myself) to truly understand the world we
live in rather than just being able to use scientific terms and explanations
to describe what occurs...

I would love some insight and comments from the rest of you...

Dave Taylor...