HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
David Russell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 26 Jul 2005 21:14:28 -0700
Friends and colleagues: Ironically, the Great Depression gave a big boost to
North American archaeology.  Enormous projects undertaken by the Works
Progress Administration are examined by WPA Archaeology: Legacy of an Era,
the latest video feature on our nonprofit streaming-media Web site, The
Archaeology Channel (http://www.archaeologychannel.org).

American history and archaeology converge in this film, which examines the
economic, scientific and cultural impacts of a massive work relief program
conducted across Kentucky during the Great Depression.  The WPA archaeology
program was much more than the jobs it created: it laid the foundation for
today's understanding of Kentucky's diverse prehistoric American Indian
cultures.  Some of America's best and brightest young archaeologists
supervised the WPA's projects, which gave badly needed employment to an army
of workers.

This and other programs are available on TAC for your use and enjoyment.  We
urge you to support this public service by participating in our Membership
(http://www.archaeologychannel.org/member.html) and Underwriting
(http://www.archaeologychannel.org/sponsor.shtml) programs.  Only with your
help can we continue and enhance this nonprofit public-education and
visitor-supported service.  We also welcome new content partners as we reach
out to the world community.

Please forward this message to others who may be interested.

Richard M. Pettigrew, Ph.D., RPA
President and Executive Director
Archaeological Legacy Institute
http://www.archaeologychannel.org