HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Susan Piddock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Aug 2004 10:08:23 +0930
Hi Everyone
         The publishing company have fixed up the website so it is now
possible to order the book via the web
                        cheers
                           Susan

>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>The Archaeologist's Field Handbook
>Heather Burke and Claire Smith
>1865088625 :: $49.95 :: Paperback :: 432 pages :: October 2004
>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>
>Published with the assistance of the White Fund of the Australian Academy
>of the Humanities.
>
>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>Advance praise for The Archaeologist's Field Handbook
>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>
>'As editor of the first field guide in 1968, I compare that slim volume
>with this outstanding, compendious and wise advice, which demonstrates the
>sophistication of present best practice. An essential aid for beginners
>and professionals.'
>--Emeritus Professor John Mulvaney
>
>'An impressive tour de force...With this volume in their knapsacks,
>budding archaeologists and consultants won't need any other to undertake
>fieldwork in Australia.'
>--Jay Hall, Head of Archaeology, University of Queensland
>
>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>
>In one volume here is every tool you need to conduct fieldwork in
>archaeology. Thoroughly comprehensive, The Archaeologist's Field Handbook
>is designed for every kind of archaeological practice-from simple site
>recordings to professional consultancies-for anyone who wants to record
>heritage sites responsibly.
>
>This hands-on manual provides step-by-step instructions on how to
>undertake and successfully complete fieldwork in all fields of
>archaeology, from Indigenous to historical to maritime. More than 200
>charts, checklists, graphs, maps and diagrams clearly illustrate how to
>design, fund, research, map, record, interpret, photograph and write up
>your fieldwork.
>
>Packed full of industry know-how and invaluable practical advice, The
>Archaeologist's Field Handbook is the ultimate resource for consultants,
>teachers, students, community groups and anyone involved in heritage fieldwork.
>
>The book is also supported by a website which features many online
>resources, such as recording forms, for the practising archaeologist. The
>site can be found at:
>
>http://www.allenandunwin.com/arch_handbook/home.asp
>
>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>Table of Contents
>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>
>1. Preparing for fieldwork
>2. Navigation and mapping
>3. Finding sites
>4. Site surveying
>5. Basic excavation techniques
>6. Recording historical sites
>7. Recording Indigenous sites
>8. Managing cultural heritage
>9. Photography and illustration
>10. Getting your results out there
>Appendices
>1. Sample recording forms
>2. Rim Diameter chart
>3. Guides to dating common historical artefacts
>4. Checklist for consultancy reports
>5. Sample press release
>6. Interpretation project planner
> [...]

Dr Susan Piddock

Research Assistant
Department of Archaeology
Flinders University,
GPO Box 2100
Adelaide, 5001
South Australia

Email alternative: [log in to unmask]
Fax:            +61 8 82013845

Committee Member - Australasian Society for Historical Archaeology
Treasurer, SA Chapter Australian Association of Consulting Archaeology

Visit the Department of Archaeology website at:
http://ehlt.flinders.edu.au/archaeology

See the Hills Face Zone Cultural Heritage Project website:
http://ehlt.flinders.edu.au/archaeology/hfzchp/index.html