From:
Karl Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Aug 2004 14:31:48 -0500
Donald Satz wrote:

>Dave Lampson writes:
>
>>Nobody is going to get filthy rich off of SACD equipment sales at $10-30
>>of profit per unit.
>
>I'm not sure about that.  If and when many millions of folks switch
>from standard CD players to SACD players, there will be plenty of bucks
>changing hands.  Let's say 30 million units times $20 per unit - that
>equals $600 million in profit.  However, I really don't know if 30 million
>is a reasonable number.  Suffice it to say that profits to audio companies
>would be on the rise.

What interests me...  if a new format will foster, yet again, another
round of reissues.  While I don't think any pre 1945 recordings will
benefit from 24/96 sound, especially many of the Victor recordings which
often featured a severely compressed signal, almost anything from the
advent of tape, assuming there is relatively uncompressed copy surviving
could potentially benefit from the higher definition and sampling rates.
However, interestingly, anything digitally recorded at 16/44.1 won't
sound better!  unless by some brilliant code one is able to intelligently
interpolate bits.

Karl