ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"Glenn A. Walsh" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Feb 2005 18:52:52 -0800

Well, not a heliostat, but something even more
versatile--a siderostat, which can be, and was, used
for both solar and stellar observations.

Pittsburgh's original Buhl Planetarium and Institute
of Popular Science installed a 10-inch Sidereal
Coelostat [Siderostat]-type Refractor Telescope in
1941. The keynote address at the dedication was given
by well-known Astronomer Harlow Shapley [then Director
of the Harvard College Observatory]; first light
through the telescope was Saturn.

The Siderostat Telescope was used for solar
observations, including sunspots and surface
granulation, on a large projection screen, during the
day. The Moon, Mercury, Venus [including phase], Mars,
and Jupiter [including cloud belts] could also be
viewed during the day, as well as stars down to third
magnitude.

Of course, during the evenings [primarily during the
weekly Friday evening public sessions], other planets
and stars could be viewed with the Siderostat.

I was Astronomical Observatory Coordinator for the
Buhl Planetarium's Astronomical Observatory from
1986-1991. Our Observatory program was very popular
and effective. We had additional observing evenings
during the visit of Comet Halley in 1985-1986.

From 1986-1991 this Observatory was open every Friday
evening, weather permitting, year-round. And, during
the cold weather months [when the sky is often very
clear], the public could remain in a warm observing
room to view the objects, while the telecope remained
in the cold telescope room [one of the major
advantages of a siderostat arrangement].

Buhl Planetarium closed as a public museum in 1991,
and closed as tutorial center in 1994. At the present
time, the Siderostat Telescope is in storage. We are
working to have it reassembled as soon as possible.

You can see this telescope, and learn more about Buhl
Planetarium's Siderostat Telescope, at the following
web page:

< http://buhlplanetarium2.tripod.com >

gaw