ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Eric Gyllenhaal <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 4 Sep 2004 07:34:45 EDT

Regarding sample size for formative evaluation, here's an interesting
argument for from the field of Web usabiliy testing:

Jakob Nielsen's Alertbox, March 19, 2000:
Why You Only Need to Test With 5 Users
http://useit.com/alertbox/20000319.html
"Elaborate usability tests are a waste of resources. The best results come
from testing no more than 5 users and running as many small tests as you can
afford."

The explanation depends on viewing usability/formative testing as discovering
uasability problems and includes a mathematical formula that demonstrates the
deminishing returns/decreasing numbers of problems discovered as the number
of user tests increases.

Eric Gyllenhaal
Selinda Research Associates