ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Carolyn Levi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Dec 2005 16:43:04 -0500

For a non-physics geek, this has still been a really interesting
discussion.  I think a really cool exhibit would be to create a family
of curved ramps, side by side (think of cross sectioning a complex 2-D
surface and setting the sections side by side, and not two tracks -
you'd generate the shapes mathematically, by playing with the cycloid,
so the exhibit would make mathematical sense). Visitors would make the
math/physics connections, just by looking, maybe even get a gut
understanding of integration.  I'd also have a wheel with a reflective
dot on the rim that could be run along a track while a cameras traced
the path of the dot and I'd have something that let them match that
path to the appropriate curve in the series above.
Carolyn